Goals and Objectives of this Course:
- Use prompts about social studies curriculum in the K-5 classroom to describe assumptions and insights of practitioners, researchers and self, including how the information relates to professional education practice and growth.
- Examine the benefits of teaching social studies curriculum across content areas.
- Design and identify teaching strategies that blend ELA and social studies skills.
- Adapt social studies curriculum to integrate science components.
- Understand the importance of navigating complex social studies topics with elementary students and develop age-appropriate skills for approaching these conversations in the classroom.
- Analyze the relationship between critical literacy and social studies education.