Join us for the first episode in a special 3-part series from Teaching Channel and EdWeb.net. Shannon Rice returns to the podcast along with Keely Keller in this excerpt from a recent webinar: School Year Success! Strategies to Instill Positive Behavior. This week, we’re redefining how educators think about behavior, discussing behavior context and the importance of proactivity in managing classroom expectations.
Shannon Rice has been a special educator in upstate New York for nearly 20 years. She currently serves as a Committee on Special Education Chairperson and is focused on supporting teams to ensure students with disabilities receive programming to fit their academic, physical, social, and management needs. In 2017, she was recognized as a Teacher of Honor by Kappa Delta Pi and recently contributed to the book The New Teacher’s Guide to Overcoming Common Challenges. Connect with Shannon (@SRice498) on Twitter.
Keely Keller is the Director of Professional Programs at Teaching Channel and holds a Bachelor of Science in Special Education from St. Cloud State University, a Master of Arts in Education from Hamline University, and additional Director of Special Education and Principal Licensures. Throughout her teaching career, Keely served students with special needs and subsequently served as a Special Education Coordinator in a suburban Minnesota school district. She has also taught as an adjunct professor at St. Mary’s University of Minnesota.
Dr. Wendy Amato earned her Master’s in Education and Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction from the University of Virginia. She holds an MBA from James Madison University. Wendy began teaching in 1991, has served as a Middle School Administrator, and still teaches at UVA’s School of Education. She has delivered teacher professional development workshops and student leadership workshops in the US and internationally. Wendy and her family live near Charlottesville, Virginia.
- In this episode, Wendy mentions several Learners Edge courses that were included in the live webinar chat
- In this episode, Shannon Rice’s book The New Teacher’s Guide to Overcoming Common Challenges is mentioned.
- Watch the full webinar: School Year Success! Strategies to Instill Positive Behavior
- Re-establishing Classroom Routines, Norms, and Group Behaviors
Blogs & Related Articles
- Heart-Centered Classroom Management
- 8 Book Recommendations on Student Behavior
- The Broken Windows Theory: How Environment Impacts Behavior
- Keely Keller has shared a free eBook for our audience, A Proactive Guide to Positive Behavior Across Learning Environments.