When #flipgridfeverfirst began to show up in my Twitter feed last year, I was curious but not ready to figure out what the fuss was about. It wasn’t until I attended a session on classroom apps that I got up close and personal with Flipgrid and recognized its brilliant application to the classroom and how it can help increase student engagement. If you’ve yet to understand the hype, I’ll explain.
What is it? Basically, it’s the newest video discussion platform. Create a grid, then add a topic to your page to spark discussion. Students respond to the prompt, and each other, with short videos.
Why do I need this in my life?
- This tool is great for quiet students, the extroverted and everyone in between! Flipgrid offers a way for students to articulate their thoughts without the anxiety and stress of the spotlight. By amplifying student voices that are often left out, Flipgrid helps create a more equitable learning experience for all.
- If students are working to create ONLY for the teacher, why bother?! With Flipgrid students can share their thinking with an authentic audience. Encourage them to move beyond the four walls of the classroom to connect with other classes, schools or the greater community. Authenticity creates motivation.
How can I use it?
There are engaging applications for the classroom such as responding to literature, explaining mathematical thinking, sharing about personal experiences or reflecting on learning. But consider how students across grade levels might connect or how teachers could use Flipgrid to engage with each other school-wide. The possibilities are endless! For a list of easy ideas to get you started, download our Flipgrid Activity File. We’ve gathered some fun classroom activities sorted by subject area, to inspire and extend your lessons.
Where can I get more info?
Here are a few resources for connecting with the community to feed your #Flipgridfever!
Ready to get started?
- Add Flipgrid to your PLN. Search #Flipgridfeveron Twitter.
- Download our Flipgrid Activity File for simple ways to begin.
- Start small. Try one new activity a week!
The beauty of Flipgrid is that it has no rules! It is what you make it, so be creative, try a new idea and innovate!
Learners Edge is passionately committed to providing you with continuing education coursework, materials, and tools that will help you succeed in your classroom and in your career.