Updated: March 14, 2023
When we refer to “you” or “your,” we mean the person accessing this Site. If the person accessing the Site acts on behalf of, or for the purposes of, another person, including a business or other organization, “you” or “your” also means that other person, including a business organization.
What Information Is Collected?
We may collect, retain and use information voluntarily provided by you through your use of the Services. For example, the information we may collect and retain includes, but is not limited to, the following categories of information based on specific product(s) used and product(s) requirements:
- Your contact information, such as your first and last name, occupation, business title/position, company name (including school district and school name), home and mobile phone number, e-mail address, home and employer address, fax number, unique device identifier of your devices that connect to or access the Services, demographic information and/or payment information when you communicate with Teaching Channel, use the Services, request teaching materials or subscribe to our premium content or services;
- Your username and password in order to register to create an account;
- Your education history and specialty areas in order to provide relevant Services;
- Dates of relicensure, state of licensure, undergraduate and graduate institutions, graduation year, and other relevant information pertinent to your education, qualifications, and licensure.
- Your education history and specialty areas in order to provide relevant course offerings and to update your transcripts;
- Other personal information, such as date of birth, gender, and other information required for conducting business with universities in order to provide the System;
- The last four numbers of your social security number as required by state departments of education;
- Your payment information in order to enable you to purchase course offerings;
- Your transaction history relating to the use of our products and services;
- Our subscription history relating to the Site and use of the Services;
- Information you may post in our blogs and discussion portals and forums, including those postings, pictures and videos, on the Services or otherwise sponsored by Teaching Channel, such as a message board or chat room;
- Information regarding your browser and other technical specifications required to use our Services;
- Computer data or files, often called “cookies,” including web beacons, pixels, gifs, widgets, tags or similar technologies, which may be sent by your web browser and stored on an individual computer to allow our server to “recognize” you through the navigation of the Site and to perform certain functions, such as saving your passwords and your personal preferences regarding the use of the Site, evaluating the popularity of those links or the information contained in emails or on third-party sites;
- Other information regarding your use of the Services, Site usage statistics, time stamps, IP address, browsing history, clickstream data, general geographic location, product settings, adjustments made to products, types of device you use to connect to the Services, type of computer operating system you use (e.g., Microsoft Windows, Google Chrome OS, Mac OS, Android or iOS), the type of browser you use (e.g., Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari) and the domain name of your internet service provider. We use this information to measure our website traffic, diagnose problems with our server, administer our Services, analyze trends, improve the Services, and to help provide a more personalized experience;
- Information that may automatically be collected pertaining to your use of a Teaching Channel mobile application (“Mobile App”), including time stamps, version of Mobile App, the device’s Unique Device Identifier (or “UDI”), computer operating system you use (e.g., Android or iOS), installation data (e.g., daily installs, upgrades and uninstalls), Mobile App activity, and error-reporting information. We collect this information about Mobile App functionality to allows us to identify those areas of the Mobile App that are of interest to our users so that we can continuously improve our Mobile App, and to identify the products with which you interact, the locations thereof and the settings, adjustments and changes that you make thereto.
For purposes of our “Tell-A-Friend” referral program, you may voluntarily choose to tell a friend about the Services, share a video or other aspects of the Services, we will ask you for your friend’s name and email address. We will automatically send your friend a one-time email inviting him or her to visit the Site. Teaching Channel stores this information for the sole purpose of sending this one-time email and tracking the success of our referral program. As part of this referral program, Teaching Channel also provides users the option to import contacts from their email account address book to invite them to become members of our Services. We collect the username and password for the email account you wish to import your contacts from and will only use it for that purpose.
For the sake of clarity, we do not collect the personal information of students from student records created or maintained by an educational institution (e.g., a district, college, university, etc.) through the Services.
How Do We Collect User Information?
We may collect personal information from you on our Site or through our Services when you undertake any of the following actions:
- Access, use or browse the Services, including our Mobile Apps;
- Register for an account on the Site;
- Order or request the Services, products, content offerings, literature, services or other information during your visit to the Site via e-mail, fax or other online or offline means;
- Contact, communicate with or otherwise interact with Teaching Channel or its personnel via e-mail, the Services, including its blogs or discussion portals and forums, fax, telephone, or by other means whether online or offline;
- Sign up to receive announcements, e-mails, newsletters or other marketing materials;
- Contact, communicate, post or comment via the blogs or discussion portals and forums on the Site or which are otherwise sponsored by Teaching Channel;
- Register, enroll or participate in surveys, questionnaires, promotions or any other service(s), events or activities online or offline sponsored by Teaching Channel, or offered in connection with the Services.
We may also use third-party vendors, such as Google Analytics, to advertise to our users online. These third-party vendors may display Learners Edge product advertisements on other websites based on your internet usage. More specifically, these vendors may use first-party cookies, third-party cookies, and other tracking technologies, including but not limited to Google Analytics, Hotjar, Facebook Pixel, Facebook Custom Audience, Facebook Connect, Bing Ads, Google Adwords, and others, together to inform, optimize, and serve ads based on your past visits to the Site or another site affiliated with Learners Edge products or services. You can opt-out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising by using Google’s Ads Settings.
How is User Information Protected?
We maintain administrative, physical, and technical safeguards for all user information collected in our System. All information provided to Learners Edge is transmitted using SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption. SSL is a proven coding system that lets your browser automatically encrypt, or scramble, data before you send it to us. We also protect account information by placing it on a secure portion of our Site that is only accessible by certain qualified employees of Learners Edge. Unfortunately, however, no data transmission over the Internet is 100% secure. While we strive to protect your information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of such information.
How Can Users Limit Information Collected?
While we work hard to use and disclose our users’ personal information only for the purposes identified above, you can choose not to provide personal information or limit the personal information obtained by us as follows:
- You may have your contact information removed from our marketing lists to inform users of new or relevant products, services, and special offers by clicking on the unsubscribe link in any communication received from us, or by emailing us [email protected];
- You may limit the collection of “cookies” through your browser settings. However, this may disable our ability to provide you with the most relevant products or information regarding the System; and
- You may limit the ability of Google Analytics to track your online activity, as outlined in the “Behavioral Advertising” section.
- You may limit the ability of Google Analytics to track your online activity, as outlined in the “Behavioral Advertising” section.
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance
We are in compliance with the requirements of COPPA (Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act). We do not collect any information from anyone under 13 years of age. Our Site is directed to people who are at least 13 years old or older.
NOTICE OF PRIVACY RIGHTS TO CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
If you are a resident of the state of California, the following rights are available to you under the California Consumer Privacy Act.
Right to access. You have the right to request that we disclose the categories of personal information collected, the categories of sources from which personal information is collected, the business or commercial purpose for collection, the categories of third parties with which we share personal information, and the specific pieces of personal information that we have about you. You also have the right to request that we provide your personal information to you in a readily useable format.
Right to request deletion. You have the right to request that we delete personal information that we collected from you. Note, however, that certain requests to delete personal information may be denied if we are required or authorized to retain the information as a matter of law, the information is necessary for detecting security incidents, exercising free speech, protecting or defending against legal claims, or for internal uses reasonably aligned with consumer expectations, including, but not limited to, to provide a customer requested product or service. Historical transactional records cannot be deleted.
Right to non-discrimination. You have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment by Learners Edge for exercising these privacy rights. We do not offer financial incentives related to the provision of data.
Authorized agent. You have the right to designate an authorized agent to make these requests on your behalf. To exercise any of these rights, please e-mail us at [email protected]. To protect your privacy, you will be required to provide authenticating information prior to making changes or gaining access to your information. We will respond to inquiries, requests to review, and change requests to personal information within forty-five (45) days.
Sales of Personal Information. We do not sell your personal information.
Opt-Out Policy. Learners Edge has adopted a policy of not sharing your personal information with our affiliates for their direct marketing purposes if you request that we do not do so (the “Opt-Out Policy”). You may make such a request by sending us an e-mail at [email protected]. When contacting us, please indicate your name, address, e-mail address, and what personal information you do not want us to share with our affiliates for their direct marketing purposes. Please note that there is no charge for controlling the sharing of your personal information or for processing this request.
Notice of Financial Incentive. This Notice of Financial Incentive includes an explanation of financial incentives we may offer California residents when they provide us with personal information. Those incentives are reasonably related to the information’s value, as permitted by the CCPA. The material aspects of any financial incentive will be explained and described when you sign up. Your participation in these programs is optional. If you choose to participate, you may withdraw at any time by contacting us at [email protected].
The financial incentives offered by Learners Edge from time to time in exchange for personal information are commonly percentage/promotional discount codes to be applied to a single purchase (typically in exchange for an email address or for joining a member rewards program). The discounts may result in a range of savings to the consumer, depending on the details of the purchase.
Incentives, including percentage/promotional discounts, are not directly tied to, or exclusively based upon, a set value of any individual element of consumer data, but are reasonably based in good faith on the following considerations:
- Some consumers first experience our brand online and offering an incentive provides a unique opportunity for them to explore our products.
- Some of our marketing and advertising activities are done online and email communications are a key part of reaching existing and potential consumers in a manner which they both expect and that allows for them to exercise choices about how or whether or not to be contacted.
- Discounts may also be affected by factors such as performance targets, geographic location, seasonality, and market trends.
International Visitors and Data Transfers
The Site is hosted in the United States and is intended for United States visitors. If you are accessing the site from the EU or other regions with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from the laws of the United States, please note that you are transferring your personal information to the United States and by providing your personal information you consent to that transfer. When we transfer personal information from other countries, including to the United States, we use a variety of legal mechanisms to help ensure your information is appropriately protected.
Your European Privacy Rights:
If you reside or otherwise find yourself in the European Union (“EU”) and the European Economic Area (“EEA”), we are committed to processing your personal information lawfully and facilitating the exercise of your rights granted by the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) and its implementing national laws.
Legal basis for data collection and use:
We only collect and use personal information when there is a fair and legal basis for its collection and use and/or when you have consented to our collection. For example, we collect personal information because it is necessary to complete or carry out a user-request, including a user-requested order for products or services, to meet our legitimate interests to send marketing materials or to comply with legal obligations. All other collection and use of information is based on your consent.
Privacy rights under the European regulation:
Data subjects located in the EU and the EEA have the following legal rights under applicable law with respect to the personal information processed by Learners Edge:
- To withdraw consent at any time, if we are processing your personal information on the basis of consent;
- To access the information that Learners Edge has about you;
- To request that Learners Edge rectify or erase your information;
- To request that Learners Edge restrict the way it uses your information;
- o object to the way Learners Edge uses your information;
- To ask Learners Edge to transfer information to someone else; and
- To lodge a complaint with a data protection authority in the EU.
Learners Edge’s ability to comply with requests may be limited by applicable law or our legitimate interests.
To request to exercise one of these rights, please contact us at [email protected]. In order to fulfill this request, we may require that you provide us detailed information to validate your identity and specify your request. We will respond to and fulfill your request in a timely manner, usually within thirty (30) days after receiving your request. If for any reason we need to extend this period of time, we will contact you. If you are not satisfied with our response, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority of your habitual residence, place of work or place of the alleged infringement.
Other International Users