Updated: January 29, 2020
When we refer to “you” or “your,” we mean the person accessing this Site. If the person accessing the Site acts on behalf of, or for the purposes of, another person, including a business or other organization, “you” or “your” also means that other person, including a business organization.
What Information Is Collected?
We collect, retain and use information voluntarily provided by you through your use of the Site and Services. For example, the information we may collect and retain includes, but is not limited to, the following categories of information:
- Your contact information, such as your first and last name, occupation, business title/position, company name (including school district and school name), home and mobile phone number, e-mail address, home and employer address, fax number, unique device identifier of your devices that connect to or access the Site, demographic information and/or payment information when you communicate with Teaching Channel, use the Services, request teaching materials or subscribe to our premium content or services;
- Your username and password in order to register to create an account;
- Your education history and specialty areas in order to provide relevant Services;
- our subscription history relating to the Site and use of the Services;
- Information you may post in our blogs and discussion portals and forums, including those postings, pictures and videos, on the Site or otherwise sponsored by Teaching Channel, such as a message board or chat room;
- Information regarding your browser and other technical specifications required to use our Site;
- Computer data or files, often called “cookies,” including web beacons, pixels, gifs, widgets, tags or similar technologies, which may be sent by your web browser and stored on an individual computer to allow our server to “recognize” you through the navigation of the Site and to perform certain functions, such as saving your passwords and your personal preferences regarding the use of the Site, evaluating the popularity of those links or the information contained in emails or on third-party sites;
- Other information regarding your use of the Site or Services, Site usage statistics, time stamps, IP address, browsing history, clickstream data, general geographic location, product settings, adjustments made to products, types of device you use to connect to the Site, type of computer operating system you use (e.g., Microsoft Windows, Google Chrome OS, Mac OS, Android or iOS), the type of browser you use (e.g., Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari) and the domain name of your internet service provider. We use this information to measure our website traffic, diagnose problems with our server, administer our Site, analyze trends, improve the Site, and to help provide a more personalized experience.
- Information that may automatically be collected pertaining to your use of a Teaching Channel mobile application (“Mobile App”), including time stamps, version of Mobile App, the device’s Unique Device Identifier (or “UDI”), computer operating system you use (e.g., Android or iOS), installation data (e.g., daily installs, upgrades and uninstalls), Mobile App activity, and error-reporting information. We collect this information about Mobile App functionality to allows us to identify those areas of the Mobile App that are of interest to our users so that we can continuously improve our Mobile App, and to identify the products with which you interact, the locations thereof and the settings, adjustments and changes that you make thereto.
For purposes of our “Tell-A-Friend” referral program, you may voluntarily choose to tell a friend about the Services, share a video or other aspects of the Services, we will ask you for your friend's name and email address. We will automatically send your friend a one-time email inviting him or her to visit the Site. Teaching Channel stores this information for the sole purpose of sending this one-time email and tracking the success of our referral program. As part of this referral program, Teaching Channel also provides users the option to import contacts from their email account address book to invite them to become members of our Site. We collect the username and password for the email account you wish to import your contacts from and will only use it for that purpose.
For the sake of clarity, we do not collect the personal information of students from student records created or maintained by an educational institution (e.g., a district, college, university, etc.) through the Site or Services.
How We Collect User Information?
We may collect personal information from you on our Site or through our Services when you undertake any of the following actions:
- Access, use or browse the Site or our Mobile Apps;
- Register for an account on the Site;
- Order or request the Services, products, content offerings, literature, services or other information during your visit to the Site via e-mail, fax or other online or offline means;
- Contact, communicate with or otherwise interact with Teaching Channel or its personnel via e-mail, the Site, including its blogs or discussion portals and forums, fax, telephone, or by other means whether online or offline;
- Sign up to receive announcements, e-mails, newsletters or other marketing materials;
- Contact, communicate, post or comment via the blogs or discussion portals and forums on the Site or which are otherwise sponsored by Teaching Channel;
- Register, enroll or participate in surveys, questionnaires, promotions or any other service(s), events or activities online or offline sponsored by Teaching Channel, or offered in connection with the Site or Services.
How Is User Information Used?
We may use all the information you provide, or that we collect or receive, in a variety of ways in connection with the operation of the Site and the Services. For example, we may use personal information about our users for a variety of purposes related to our business, including, but not limited to:
- Developing, operating, maintaining, enhancing, and providing all of the features and services found on our Site or Services now and in the future;
- Understanding and analyzing the usage trends and preferences of our users, to improve the way our Services works, and to create new features and functionality;
- Allowing you to receive information from us regarding Teaching Channel’s Site, Services or other products or services;
- Allowing you to register for an account and to enable your access to the video library and associated transcripts (if any);
- To process user-initiated or authorized payments;
- Tracking information about your visits to our Site or use of the Services to allow us to provide better service;
- Sending or initiating direct marketing programs, such as newsletters or information about the Site, the Services and new products or services we are offering;
- Contacting you regarding an inquiry on the Site or Services that you have initiated;
- Using content from social media platforms where you discuss our products or use a hashtag related to the Services;
- Allowing you to comment or post on the blogs or discussion portals or forums on the Site or sponsored by Teaching Channel;
- With the authorization of users, we may also display on our Site personal testimonials of satisfied users of our Site and Services.
How Is User Information Shared?
Teaching Channel may share information about you as follows:
- We may provide users’ personal information to third-party service providers, suppliers, payment processors, vendors, advertisers, consultants and affiliates, which may include our independent contractors, for purposes of, including, without limitation, providing the Services; initiating and collection of user payments; initiating direct marketing programs on our behalf; data tracking; maintenance or development of our Site and/or Services; development of online products, services, or customer service or new product development; or other contracted promotional opportunities provided to our users.
- We may share your information with Teaching Channel’s affiliates for their purpose of directly marketing their products/services to you. However, we will not share or sell your information to unaffiliated third parties.
- We may also share your personal information in connection with law enforcement requests or in response to investigations, subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims, or as otherwise required by law.
- We may also disclose your information to an affiliated or unaffiliated third party as part of reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, bankruptcy (or similar proceedings), transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of Teaching Channel’s business or operations, including those of its subsidiaries or divisions. Any third party to which Teaching Channel transfers or sells the Services or related assets will have the right to continue to use the personal and other information that you provide to us.
- We may share your information as otherwise authorized by you.
We do not use or otherwise share the personal information of teachers or teaching administrative officials from records or performance reviews created or maintained by an educational institution (e.g., a district, college, university, etc.) through the Site or Services.
We may also use third-party vendors, such as Google Analytics, to advertise to our users online. These third-party vendors may display Teaching Channel’s product and service advertisements on other websites based on your Internet usage. More specifically, these vendors may use first-party cookies, third-party cookies and other tracking technologies, including, but not limited to, Google Analytics, Hotjar, Facebook Pixel, Facebook Custom Audience, Facebook Connect, Google Adwords, and others, together to inform, optimize and serve ads based on your past visits to the Site or another site affiliated with Teaching Channel’s products or services. You can opt-out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising by using Google’s Ads Settings.
The Site offers publicly accessible blogs and discussion portals and forums. You acknowledge that any information, pictures or videos you provide or post in these blogs or discussion portals and forums may be read, collected, used, shared or reproduced by Teaching Channel or others who access them.
How Is User Information Protected?
We maintain reasonable administrative, physical and technical safeguards for all user information collected through our Site and Services. All information provided to Teaching Channel is transmitted using SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption. SSL is a proven coding system that lets your browser automatically encrypt, or scramble, data before you send it to us. We also protect account information by placing it on a secure portion of our Site that is only accessible by certain qualified employees of Teaching Channel. Unfortunately, however, no data transmission over the Internet, wi-fi, Bluetooth, or other communication protocol is guaranteed to be 100% secure. While we strive to protect your information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of such information.
How Can Users Limit Information Collected?
While we work hard to use and disclose our users’ personal information only for the purposes identified above, you can choose not to provide personal information or limit the personal information obtained by us as follows:
- You may have your contact information removed from our marketing lists to inform users of new or relevant products, services and special offers by clicking on the unsubscribe link in any communication received from us, or by emailing us at email@example.com.
- You may limit the collection of “cookies” through your browser settings. However, this may disable our ability to provide you with the most relevant products or information regarding the Site and/or Services.
- You may limit the ability of Google Analytics to track your online activity, as outlined in the “Behavioral Advertising” section above.
Communications with You
You authorize Teaching Channel to transmit e-mail, send postal mail or to telephone you to (i) respond to your communications or requests, (ii) promote our products/services, including without limitation the Services, and (iii) for the purposes of any applicable law regarding notification of persons whose personal information was, or is reasonably believed to have been, acquired by an unauthorized person, any required notification may, where permitted by law, be made by the use of e-mail, telephone, fax or mail (including a notice printed in an available area of a bill or statement) or by posting a notice on the Site. YOU AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING MEANS OF COMMUNICATIONS.
Children Under the Age of 18
Our Site and Services are not designed for children, and we do not knowingly collect information from any person under the age of 18. If you are under the age of 18, you are not permitted to register for an account on the Site or to otherwise submit any personal information to Teaching Channel. If you provide information to Teaching Channel through the Site, Services or offline, you represent that you are 18 years of age or older.
Updating Your Information
You are responsible for keeping your information current. You may update your information by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will use reasonable efforts to process any change you make; provided, however, that requests to delete information are subject to Teaching Channel’s internal reporting, processing and retention policies and all applicable legal obligations.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you services, contact us at email@example.com. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Notice of Privacy Rights of California Residents
If you are a resident of the state of California, the following rights are available to you under the California Consumer Privacy Act.
Right to access
You have the right to request that we disclose the categories of personal information collected, the categories of sources from which personal information is collected, the business or commercial purpose for collection, the categories of third parties with which we share personal information, and the specific pieces of personal information that we have about you. You also have the right to request that we provide your personal information to you in a readily useable format.
Right to request deletion
You have the right to request that we delete personal information that we collected from you. Note, however, that certain requests to delete personal information may be denied if we are required or authorized to retain the information as a matter of law, the information is necessary for detecting security incidents, exercising free speech, protecting or defending against legal claims, or for internal uses reasonably aligned with consumer expectations, including, but not limited to, to provide a customer requested product or service. Historical transactional records cannot be deleted.
Right to non-discrimination
You have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment by Teaching Channel for exercising these privacy rights. We do not offer financial incentives related to the provision of data.
You have the right to designate an authorized agent to make these requests on your behalf. To exercise any of these rights, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. To protect your privacy, you will be required to provide authenticating information prior to making changes or gaining access to your information. We will respond to inquiries, requests to review, and change requests to personal information within forty-five (45) days.
Sales of Personal Information
Teaching Channel does not sell your personal information.
Teaching Channel has adopted a policy of not sharing your personal information with our affiliates for their direct marketing purposes if you request that we do not do so (the “Opt-Out Policy”). You may make such a request by sending us an e-mail at email@example.com. When contacting us, please indicate your name, address, e-mail address, and what personal information you do not want us to share with our affiliates for their direct marketing purposes. Please note that there is no charge for controlling the sharing of your personal information or for processing this request.
International Visitors and Data Transfers
The Site is hosted in the United States and is intended for United States visitors. If you are accessing the site from the EU or other regions with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from the laws of the United States, please note that you are transferring your personal data to the United States and by providing your personal data you consent to that transfer. When we transfer personal data from other countries, including to the United States, we use a variety of legal mechanisms to help ensure your data is appropriately protected.
Your European Privacy Rights
If you reside or otherwise find yourself in the European Union (“EU”) and the European Economic Area (“EEA”), Teaching Channel is committed to processing your personal data lawfully and facilitating the exercise of your rights granted by the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) and its implementing national laws.
Legal Basis for Data Collection and Use
We only collect and use personal information when there is a fair and legal basis for its collection and use and/or when you have consented to our collection. For example, we collect personal information because it is necessary to complete or carry out a user-request, including a user-requested order for products or services, to meet our legitimate interests to send marketing materials or to comply with legal obligations. All other collection and use of information is based on your consent.
Privacy Rights Under the European Regulation
Data subjects located in the EU and the EEA have the following legal rights under applicable law with respect to the personal information processed by Teaching Channel:
- To withdraw consent at any time, if we are processing your personal information on the basis of consent;
- To access the information that Teaching Channel has about you;
- To request that Teaching Channel rectify or erase your information;
- To request that Teaching Channel restrict the way it uses your information;
- To object to the way Teaching Channel uses your information;
- To ask Teaching Channel to transfer information to someone else; and
- To lodge a complaint with a data protection authority in the EU.
Teaching Channel’s ability to comply with requests may be limited by applicable law or our legitimate interests. To request to exercise one of these rights, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In order to fulfill this request, we may require that you provide us detailed information to validate your identity and specify your request. We will respond to and fulfill your request in a timely manner, usually within thirty (30) days after receiving your request. If for any reason we need to extend this period of time, we will contact you. If you are not satisfied with our response, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority of your habitual residence, place of work or place of the alleged infringement.
Other International Users
2805 Dodd Road, Suite 200
Eagan, Minnesota 55121
You can also send an email to: email@example.com. Please do not include personal or other sensitive information in your e-mail correspondence.