A sentence frame is a teacher-created scaffold using a fill-in-the-blank format designed to help students ask or answer questions verbally or in writing. They are very effective for all students but especially for those who may require a bit more support. Take a look at our TOP TEN reasons you should be using these in your classroom.
1) Sentence framesshift the focus from language and writing-which can be challenging-to the contentwe want students to learn.
2) They empower learners who may need additional support by providing a foothold intotheconversationand a structure for responding to questions.
3) They increase the depth of academic conversations by allowing students to build on one another’s ideas.
4) They allow students to ask for help and be specific about what they are struggling with or what they need.
5) Students encourage each other to try sentenceframes,creating a culture of compassion and peer support in the classroom.
6) They provide a starting point and can assist with task initiation specific towriting,as they give students a starting point.
7) Theyare a scaffoldor an accommodationfor those who need themand make ideas accessible to all.
8) They decrease anxiety and ensure all students feel like a part of the learning community.
9) Sentence frames are a research-based method for assisting English Learners, students with disabilities,and learners who may struggle with written or verbal expression.
10) They are free and easy to use!
If I don’t have you convinced, check out these excellent videos showing you exactly how they can be used in the classroom.
Need some sentences to try in your classroom?
Learners Edge is passionately committed to providing you with continuing education coursework, materials, and tools that will help you succeed in your classroom and in your career.
Offering more than 100 print-based or online courses for teachers, you can earn the graduate credit you need for salary advancement and meet your professional development needs. Contact us today to get started!