Goals and Objectives of this Course:
- Reflect on assumptions and insights of practitioners, researchers and self, specific to strategies to improve outcomes for students in poverty.
- Write a summary of an adverse effect of poverty specific to the education of children.
- Summarize a peer dialogue about biases, expectations and deficit-based thinking and develop a plan to “unlearn” and “relearn” these concepts.
- Analyze and summarize current classroom practices related to equity and instructional effectiveness for ALL students.
- Develop classroom activities, lessons and presentations using high leverage practices such as reteaching, goal setting, the use of inquiry, growth mindset, academic discourse, and learner agency.