Goals and Objectives of this Course:
- Reflect on assumptions and insights of practitioners, researchers and self, specific to the use of academic vocabulary instruction in professional practice.
- Examine the fundamentals of academic and domain-specific vocabulary instruction to establish how planning, teaching, and assessment strategies will improve content learning as well as college and career readiness for all students.
- Explain the role of repeated exposure and morphology awareness in building vocabularies.
- Research and develop academic vocabulary strategies, lessons, and daily routines for implementation in a classroom environment that promotes word-learning.
- Employ collaboration as well as word-learning independence in academic vocabulary instruction to create a framework with routines based on curriculum, standards, and student needs.
- Investigate valuable resources in academic vocabulary development to determine how they enhance student engagement, reading comprehension, and overall academic achievement in your classroom.