In this week’s episode of Teaching Channel Talks, Dr. Wendy Amato sits down with Carrie Weber to discuss the importance of experiential learning in science. Carrie and Wendy’s conversation promotes hands-on exploration while shifting away from rote memorization in education by encouraging students to observe their surroundings and ask curious questions.
Shannon Rice has been a special educator in upstate New York for nearly 20 years. She currently serves as a Committee on Special Education Chairperson and is focused on supporting teams to ensure students with disabilities receive programming to fit their academic, physical, social, and management needs. In 2017, she was recognized as a Teacher of Honor by Kappa Delta Pi and recently contributed to the book The New Teacher’s Guide to Overcoming Common Challenges. Connect with Shannon (@SRice498) on Twitter.
Keely Keller is the Director of Professional Programs at Teaching Channel and holds a Bachelor of Science in Special Education from St. Cloud State University, a Master of Arts in Education from Hamline University, and additional Director of Special Education and Principal Licensures. Throughout her teaching career, Keely served students with special needs and subsequently served as a Special Education Coordinator in a suburban Minnesota school district. She has also taught as an adjunct professor at St. Mary’s University of Minnesota.
Dr. Wendy Amato earned her Master’s in Education and Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction from the University of Virginia. She holds an MBA from James Madison University. Wendy began teaching in 1991, has served as a Middle School Administrator, and still teaches at UVA’s School of Education. She has delivered teacher professional development workshops and student leadership workshops in the US and internationally. Wendy and her family live near Charlottesville, Virginia.
- Watch the full webinar: School Year Success! Strategies to Instill Positive Behavior
- The Three B’s: Managing Classroom Interruptions
Blogs & Related Articles
- Five Key Ingredients for a Well-Managed Classroom
- The Broken Window Theory: How Environment Impacts Behavior
- What Is PBIS? An Overview for Teachers and Schools
Continuing Education from Teaching Channel
- Keely Keller has shared a free eBook for our audience, A Proactive Guide to Positive Behavior Across Learning Environments.
- For new teachers looking for classroom strategies, check out Shannon Rice’s book The New Teacher’s Guide to Overcoming Common Challenges.