Are you one of the many teachers facing the challenge of student motivation? The shift between remote and in person learning models, combined with mental health concerns and reduced social interactions, has created a significant hurdle in engaging and motivating students. Educators are tirelessly exploring innovative teaching methods, personalized approaches, and creative incentives to reignite their students’ enthusiasm.
We’ve gathered our favorite articles and videos that provide strategies to assist students in taking ownership of their learning!
- Read, “Flow, Motivation, and Learning,” by Dr. Kristen Betts to learn more about Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi’s theory of “Flow.”
- “8 Questions that Support Student Participation and Motivation,” from Brookes Education Blog for ideas to implement!
- “Identifying Teaching Behaviors that Foster Growth Mindset Classroom Cultures,” by Kathryn Kroeper, Ph.D. discusses connecting growth mindsets to motivation for students.
- Watch the following video for a boost: Motivation & Growth Mindset
- Read more at “To Increase Student Engagement, Focus on Motivation,” by Nina Parrish, along with Dr. Catlin Tucker’s blog post on Authentic Audience.
- “Using Success Criteria to Spark Motivation in Students,” from Teaching Channel
- Audrey Kittredge shares, “How Can Gamification Help Children Learn?” explaining how games work to boost learning.
- Then, review, “10 Benefits of Classroom Games for Kids (and Teachers too),” by Jeanne Sagar, discussing the motivation that comes from learning while playing a game.
Brush up on your student motivational skills with this list! We guarantee you’ll gain knowledge regarding theories and practices to help you develop a deeper understanding. Grow your toolbox with a variety of frameworks and strategies such as student-centered learning, growth mindsets, and gamification that can set students up for success.