A Thank You Letter to My Master of Arts in Education
Dear My Very Own Master of Arts in Education (MAEd),
I am writing to thank you for your impact on my career and personal life. When I decided to sign up for you, I was a second-year teacher with a newborn baby. I was overwhelmed and trying to quickly learn my two new roles in life (special educator and mom). It was crazy town! At that time, the VERY LAST thing I was thinking about was continuing my education. MAEd, I had no idea I needed you, but I did! Because I am thankful for you, I would like to share how you’ve changed my life!
- Lifelong Learning: You, MAEd, provided a pathway for me to begin my journey as a lifelong learner. As a teacher, I was (and still am) in love with school! Whether I am in the classroom as a student, teacher or administrator, experiencing and witnessing collaboration, connection and learning is inspiring to me. You allowed me to be a student again and confirmed my love of learning.
- Improved Instruction: As a student taking required courses for you, my MAEd, I was able to tap into my sense of familiarity and my nerdy student self! I increased my knowledge base in the field of education and improved my instructional skills. Since I love learning, it made sense to keep learning and help others learn in the process. As an example, one night in class, I learned about multiple intelligences and the very next day, I was able to assess my learners and develop strategies to meet their learning needs based on their strengths and needs! THE VERY NEXT DAY!
- Interest Based Learning: While I worked through my plan of study for you, MAEd, I was able to choose elective (concentration) courses based on my areas of interest. I took courses on conflict resolution, brain based learning and other topics that actually applied to my role as a special educator! During my final capstone project, I chose to learn about and apply concepts and strategies specific to my interest area of service learning. It was refreshing to have choice in my professional learning.
- $$$: Not to be forgotten, MAEd, you allowed me to make more money! As a new teacher in 1997, I was making $28,000 per year. Because I completed you early in my career, I estimate that I have earned $244,000 more in salary alone over my twenty-years in education. That’s a quarter-million dollars! Personally, this allowed me to obtain financial security and ensure my two children had their needs met as a single parent.
- Pride: After completing you, I became proud of my expertise and wanted to share what I knew to further the learning of colleagues, students and families. Only 9.3% of people in the United States of America have a master’s degree, and thanks to you, I joined that group in 2000. I have a sense of personal and professional pride surrounding my education, and it still feels great when someone is impressed by the fact you and I are pals. What makes this even better is that due to my education (including you, MAEd), I have opportunities to share what I know through presentations, trainings, course creation, improved instructional skills and informal conversational exchanges with stakeholders in education. I am proud of the fact that I am able share my expertise – something that would have been impossible without you in my back pocket!
So, thanks again MAEd. I am grateful for you! Please know that I would encourage any educator without an MAEd to research and enroll in a program as soon as possible to find their own reasons for bringing you into his or her life. I’ve only shared a few of my own. It is with absolute certainty that I can say getting an MAEd is well worth it!
To learn more about our Master of Arts in Education and Special Education Programs through Augustana University, please visit our website.
Learners Edge is passionately committed to providing you with continuing education coursework, materials, and tools that will help you succeed in your classroom and in your career.
Offering more than 100 print-based or online courses for teachers, you can earn the graduate credit you need for salary advancement and meet your professional development needs. Contact us today to get started!