Goals and Objectives of this Course:
- Use prompts about cultural competency in the classroom and the community to describe assumptions and insights of practitioners, researchers and self, including how the information relates to professional education practice and growth.
- Explore the meaning of cultural competence and why it is important.
- Determine the ways culture and cultural faux pas affect learning and students’ school experiences.
- Identify strategies for creating a culturally competent classroom and best practices for Culturally Responsive Teaching (CRT).
- Examine and test how unconscious bias impacts the ways in which we react in specific situations and how it affects the way we reach and teach students.
- Discuss advocacy ideas for creating communities that are culturally competent.