Goals and Objectives of this Course:
- Use prompts about literacy in the elementary math classroom, to describe assumptions and insights of practitioners, researchers and self, including how the information relates to professional education practice and growth.
- Explain the role of literacy skills in developing an understanding of math concepts.
- Identify actions to incorporate vocabulary instruction to support students’ comprehension of math concepts.
- Describe how strong math discourse skills provide students’ the ability to explore, evaluate, analyze, think critically, and express mathematical reasoning.
- Integrate reading and writing skills into the design of a math lesson.
- Set micro-goals related to the integration of literacy skills in math for ELLs or struggling learners.