Goals and Objectives of this Course:
- Use prompts about jazz music and history, to describe assumptions and insights of practitioners, researchers and self, including how the information relates to professional education practice and growth.
- Describe how jazz was influenced by previous styles and understand the features that make jazz a unique art form.
- Appreciate jazz’s impact on American history, society, culture, and race relations throughout the 20th century and beyond.
- Recognize how major figures in jazz’s history had unique effects on the development of the genre.
- Know how to listen to jazz both for aesthetic appreciation and to identify and analyze some of the technical aspects of the genre.