Goals and Objective of this Course:
- Reflect on assumptions and insights of practitioners, researchers and self, specific to working with challenging students in professional practice.
- Identify student needs through the use of the Assessment of Lagging Skills and Unsolved Problems (ALSUP) inventory.
- Learn how to apply the Collaborative & Proactive Solutions (CPS) model when addressing challenging behaviors.
- Explore methods to understand the genesis of challenging behaviors and to create connections with students whose behavior is challenging.
- Engage in dialogues using the Empathy Step, Adult Concerns Step, and Invitation Step frameworks.
- Implement effective communication skills to help students restore trust.
- Explore social emotional issues that create challenges for students.
- Communicate course knowledge and strategies with colleagues, parents, and administrators.