Join Dr. Wendy Amato and literacy educators and authors Jan Burkins and Kari Yates as they explore the challenges of literacy in education today. Join us for a discussion on their new book, Shifting the Balance: 6 Ways to Bring the Science of Reading into the Balanced Literacy Classroom, as we break down the six shifts we can make to integrate effective reading strategies from each perspective. Be sure to check out the show notes below for resources from Kari and Jan!
Kari Yates has experience as a classroom teacher, special education teacher, Reading Recovery teacher, elementary principal, and district literacy coordinator. Kari is the co-author of Shifting the Balance: 6 Ways to Bring the Science of Reading into the Balanced Literacy Classroom, (Stenhouse, 2021), a new book that reconsiders some some balanced literacy practices in light of current science in the field. Her passion is helping busy literacy educators thrive, by building more effective and joyful practices one next step at a time.
Jan Burkins has worked as a classroom teacher, an interventionist, a district literacy coordinator, a regional language arts consultant, a part-time assistant professor, and an independent literacy consultant. Jan is the author or co-author of five books on literacy, including Shifting the Balance: 6 Ways to Bring the Science of Reading into the Balanced Literacy Classroom, (Stenhouse, 2021). Jan is passionate about helping educators navigate and understand the complex demands of teaching today while also honoring their inner teacher.
Dr. Wendy Amato earned her Master’s in Education and Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction from the University of Virginia. She holds an MBA from James Madison University. Wendy began teaching in 1991, has served as a Middle School Administrator, and still teaches at UVA’s School of Education. She has delivered teacher professional development workshops and student leadership workshops in the US and internationally. Wendy and her family live near Charlottesville, Virginia.
Here are a few of our favorite resources and links for educators looking to explore the shift to more science-aligned practices.
Free Downloadable Resources
- Dialogic Conversations: A Grover Whitehurst-influenced resource.
- The Six Commitments: A “nod” to the magnitude and commitment required to make change a reality.
Blogs & Related Articles
- 4 Simple Steps for Using Elkonin Boxes to Help Children Lock Words in Memory
- Explore Jan & Kari’s 8-part blog series “Using Our Flexible Phonics Lesson Plan”
- Making Time for Complex Text in Literacy Instruction
- 5227: Shifting Your Focus to the Science of Reading (Featuring Jan & Kari’s book, Shifting the Balance: 6 Ways to Bring the Science of Reading into the Balanced Literacy Classroom)
- 5150: Magnifying Reading Intervention Through Science and Research
- 5126: Five Keys to Reading Instruction
Options to Continue Your Journey